I now proceed to condense volume 15 of The Ravages of Time.
- Chapter 118: Sima Yi advises Guo Gong and negotiates with Xun Yu.
- Chapter 119: Cao Cao’s remaining forces hold out and endure the assault.
- Chapter 120: Guo Jia talks to Cao Ren about preparing the troops for a future war.
- Chapter 121: Chen Gong debates with Sima Yi and finds himself ambushed by Xun Yu’s reserve forces.
- Chapter 122: Mister Tian sabotages Lü Bu and rendezvouses with Cao Cao.
- Chapter 123: Dian Wei assaults Lü Bu in an unguarded moment.
- Chapter 124: Shan Wuling proposes a deal after Cao Cao’s victory.
- Chapter 125: The Sima clan takes Sun Shu into custody.
This volume basically concludes the Yanzhou campaign, with critical reversals leading to a decisive victory for Cao Cao. This development not only prevents Lü Bu from regaining his previous dominant political status, but also serves as Cao Cao’s stepping stone for a later, greater showdown with Yuan Shao. A woman adviser (first depicted in volume 6) shows up again and enters the fray as a counterpart to Sima Yi, just as the Defeated Officers (of which Dian Wei is a former member) are set up as a rival organization to the Handicapped Warriors. Near the end, Sun Shu reappears and more members of the Sun clan step up, indicating a shift in focus to the intrigues of Sun Ce and Yuan Shu.